Super easy, low carb, high protein, and nutrient dense… These flourless egg muffins are a breakfast staple in our house. They have the taste and the nutrition of an omelet or a frittata but are neatly packaged into a muffin which makes them perfect for a quick breakfast, or even a mid-day snack.
- 12 Eggs (from healthy, well-cared-for chickens)
- 1/2 cup organic milk (or any unflavored, unsweetened milk alternative)
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 12 cup non-stick muffin tin (we use a ceramic one)
- 1 handful of chopped spinach
- 1 diced bell pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Hot sauce, or spices like garlic, turmeric, or curry powder
- Preheat the oven to 375-400°F.
- Crack and the eggs into a large mixing bowl (one that has a pouring spout is ideal…we use a 2-quart measuring cup)
- Add the veggies, salt, pepper, and spices and mix well.
- Lightly grease the muffin tin with butter or olive oil.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin slots.
- Lightly sprinkle cheese over the top of each muffin (optional)
- Cook for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch and lightly browned.
PS: These muffins look and taste amazing right when they come out of the oven. After they cool, they become a bit less photogenic because they’ll lose their “puff” but they still taste great after a quick re-heat.
– Dr. Joshua Levitt