Whether you’re basking in the heat of the summer or sweating your way through each scorching-hot day, you’re bound to need some cool refreshment. One of the best ways to stay healthy through the heat is to make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day. Many people struggle to keep up with their hydration requirements, and one tasty way to increase the amount of water you’re drinking is to make iced tea.
While traditional iced tea may be overly sweetened and high in caffeine, we prefer these delicious summer green tea recipes. Not only do they taste great, but you’ll reap the benefits of green tea consumption, which include antioxidant protection for your skin, improved circulation and heart health, and boosted brain function.
Try these easy and delicious green tea recipes to stay healthy and energized all summer long.
Watermelon Green Tea Refresher
This fruity drink is refreshing and sweet – perfect for those hot summer days.
- 2 tsp loose-leaf jasmine green tea, or plain green tea (or use 2 tea bags in place of loose-leaf)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Add the water to a small saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from heat. Add the green tea to a tea strainer. Place the strainer in the water and let it steep for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the strainer and let the water cool down completely. You can prepare the tea a few hours in advance and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Place the diced watermelon, lime juice, maple syrup, and salt in a high-speed blender. Add the chilled green tea and blend on high speed for 5-10 seconds, or until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Fill two glasses with ice and pour the watermelon tea into each glass. Serve immediately!
Chia Green Tea Energy Drink
Combine antioxidant-rich green tea with the nutritional powerhouse of chia seeds and get beauty benefits inside and out.
- 2 cups green tea
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tsp honey (or to taste)
- Brew 2 cups of green tea and let cool.
- Add chia seeds and let sit for 10 minutes or until the consistency thickens.
- Add honey and stir. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and allow to chill.
- Enjoy this energizing chilled beverage on a hot day!
Fragrant Rose Iced Green Tea
You will love the floral and earthy notes in this unique iced tea recipe.
- 2 Tbsp loose-leaf green tea (or use 2 tea bags)
- 1 Tbsp dried rose petals
- 1 Tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 4 cups filtered water, divided
- Place the green tea, rose petals, and coriander in a pitcher.
- Bring half a cup of water not quite to a boil.
- Pour it over the tea leaves, wait ten seconds, then add the remaining 3 1/2 cups unheated water.
- Refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours, depending on how strong you prefer the tea. Strain and serve over ice.
Metabolism Boosting Green Tea Smoothie
On busy summer days, when you can barely find the time to eat, much less fit in a 30-minute workout, this super simple 4-ingredient smoothie will jump-start your metabolism and keep you burning calories all day long.
- 3/4 cup chilled green tea
- 1 3/4 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- Banana or raw honey for sweetness (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in the base of a blender and blend until smooth.
- If you prefer your smoothie a little sweeter, you can add a banana or raw honey to taste and blend.
- Garnish with hemp seeds and extra berries and serve immediately.
Detox Iced Green Tea
Drink this simple iced brew whenever you need to feel refreshed and light on your feet. Drink daily as a natural detox to support detoxification and healthy digestion.
- 1 green tea bag
- 1 slice lemon
- 1 tsp honey or stevia
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 2 slices cucumber
- Using a green tea bag and boiling water, brew 8-10 ounces of water to make green tea.
- Chill the green tea in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Add cucumber, lemon, strawberries and honey or stevia.
- Stir to mix ingredients and add ice if desired.
Iced Green Tea Mojito
The perfect summer mocktail, this is a cross between a tall glass of fresh brewed iced green tea and a mojito!
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 large mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 baby arugula leaves
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup brewed green tea, chilled
- Muddle the lime juice, mint, arugula, and sugar together in a tall glass until the leaves bruise lightly.
- Add ice until the glass is about 3/4 full, then pour in the chilled green tea.
- Stir well and garnish with mint and lime.
Mango Peach Green Tea Breakfast Smoothie
This energy-packed smoothie makes a satisfying morning meal or snack to keep you going all day long.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 to 3 handfuls of leafy greens, such as baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peach slices
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp buckwheat groats
- 1 Tbsp maca powder, optional
- 1 Tbsp matcha powder
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and enjoy!
Summery Green Tea Frappuccino
If you love iced coffee, try this healthier alternative with green tea!
- 10 ice cubes
- 1 cup full-fat milk, or coconut cream for dairy-free
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp matcha green tea powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until the mix becomes smooth, creamy and even in color
- Enjoy immediately in your favorite glass.
Those long summer days are sure to become even more delicious with these green tea recipes. Stay hydrated and enjoy!
-The UpWellness Team